- Sign in FTIR use time on RM22 logsheet on Macintosh Computer.
- Log in FTIR Computer using your FTIR User ID and Password.
- If you use Harrick Seagull or DRIFTS Colletor for reflectance
measurement in the main compartment, install it in the main compartment.
- Open OMNIC.
- Under File, choose Open Options. Select your last name, and
- Under File, choose Open Parameters. Select desired parameters,
If you have chosen one of the mct detectors, add liquid nitrogen to
the appropriate detector port. Remember to install screen B in the
main compartment if you conduct transmission measurements using the mct
detector. Otherwise, the saturated ADC may distort spectrum.
Under Collect, choose Collect Setup. Confirm the parameters.
Change them as needed. Choose the Background Collection Options
that you would like to use.
Under Collect, choose Optical Bench Setup. Confirm the
parameters, and make sure there is adequate throughput. Sometimes,
you may need to click on the Align Bench Button for automatic alignment
of the internal mirrors and so for increasing the beam throughput.
The reference peak-to-peak potentials on the interferogram for a simple
transmission setup are 10 at gain=2 for DTGS and 10 at gain=1 for MCT
with Screen "B" inserted in the beam path.
If you use the main compartment, make sure the proper procedure for
purging is followed. Before inserting your sample on the background,
close the baffles using the levers on top of the sample compartment.
Then insert the sample. After the compartment has been open, the
quickest purge is obtained by leaving the baffles closed and leaving the
clear Plexiglas window open about a centimeter. It is generally
recommended that you wait two minutes for purging. Then you may
open the baffles and close the clear window. Of course, the longer
you wait, the better the purge. Also, the best results are obtained
when the purge time is the same for the sample and the background.
Save your spectra on your floppy disk. Or you can store spectra
files on our Charfac Storage Computer (CFNTSVR) e:/OPTICAL/FTIRUSER/your
path and then connect to the CharFac NT Server Computer from your remote
location. Do not save spectra on Hard Drive C:.
After you are done, reset FTIR beam optics to the Main Compartment
by selecting Open Parameters and then choosing dtgs4.prm.
Exit OMINIC software.
Log out of Direct Access by choosing Logout under the Special
If Harrick Seagull or Drifts Collector was used, remove it from the
Main Compartment and store it in its box. Install the transmission
sample holder in the main compartment.
Sign out the FTIR use time on the RM22 logsheet on Macintosh
- For the main compartment, your choices are dtgs or mct followed
by a number indicating the resolution (dtgs05 means using Detector
DTGS with 0.5 cm-1 resolution).
- For the microscope, choose microref, microtrn, or microatr for
the reflected mode,transmitted mode, or ATR mode, respectively.
- For Attenuated Total Reflection (ATR) with Spectra Tech ProfilIR,
- For grazing angle specular reflectance mode with Harrick Seagull,
- For diffuse reflectance measurements with DRIFTS Collector, choose