Operation With the Radix Databox and Sample Changer
- Put your TLD ring on and record the ring number on the computer.
- Record your CUFS number, name, time on the hour log (on the goniometer) and the time of day in the computer..
- Power up the system:
- If using colbalt radiation, bring voltage from 10 kV to 38 kV by flipping the switch one kV at a time. Note: at 19, and 29, flip both the 10's and 1's at the same time.
- If using copper radiation, bring voltage from 10 kV to 45 kV by flipping the switch one kV at a time. Note: at 19, 29, and 39, flip both the 10's and 1's at the same time.
- Bring amperage from 5 mA to 40 mA by flipping the left switch one mA at a time. Leave the right switch set where it is.
- The Databox should be on; if not, turn it on.
- Prepare your sample(s) in the appropriate sample holder(s).
- Remove the magazine from the sample changer.
- Fill the magazine with your sample holders-notched end towards goniometer.
- Close the magazine.
- Place the magazine in the sample changer making sure it is pulled up all the way and lock in place.
- Check the slits that collimate the x-ray beam. Roman numerals should be sequential from left to right (I, II & III, II & III, IV, and IV). Slit widths: 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.15, and 0.15.
- Close the door.
- Open the Datascan Program. The program is on the desktop or may be located by activating "Start" (lower left-hand corner), "Programs", "MDI-Apps", and "Datascan".
- Check machine calibration: Choose Controller button.
Does theta read ½ of two-theta? If not:
- click on "drive two-theta only" and drive to 20
- click on "drive theta only" and drive theta to 10
- click "drive two-theta and theta coupled"
- Set up your scan(s):
- Choose "Scan" on the toolbar.
- Choose the directory your file will be saved in (top bar).
- Enter the file name (less than 8 characters, no ".").
- Enter the file ID and comments if necessary.
- Set up your scan by:
- Choose the "setup" window.
- Enter a new scan setting name (or your existing one).
- Enter the scan settings (for example: 5.0 to 60.0 degrees two-theta, step of 0.04, dwell of 1.0, step scan).
- Save Setting.
- For the sample changer, click on the "sample changer" option at the bottom, and fill in all the filenames and sample ID by clicking "next".
- Save your setup.
- Click on "Go" to begin data collection. (Clicking on the clock in the upper right corner will tell you how long the runs will take.)
- The shutter must be opened manually:
There are three keys for the shutter control as outlined below:
Open the shutter by pressing the top, right button.
Use "JADE" for data analysis. Refer to the manual for specific
- Close the shutter.
- Turn off the hour log.
- Remove your sample(s).
- Leave the Databox on.
- If no one is scheduled immediately after you, turn the amperage down to 5 mA by increments of one. Remember to turn the amperage down first!
- Bring the voltage down to 10 kV by increments of 1.
- Clean up sample prep area.
- Sign out on the computer.
If you accidentally shut down the x-ray generator, see the Startup Instructions and leave a note in the computer comment section.
If you have any questions or are experiencing problems with the instrument, check the Trouble Shooting guide.