Acknowledgment and Coauthorship
We ask all PI's to reiterate to their researchers the importance of this general, facility-wide and NSF grant acknowledgment, and apply to conference presentations as well as publications. Such acknowledgments, apart from NSF mandate, can improve our university's ability to attract instrumentation grants. Additionally they provide visibility and thereby foster greater usage by both internal and external clients, aiding our ability to upgrade instrumentation, keep charge rates low, and provid expert training, assistance and analytical services.
Using Facility Instruments
You must have a valid budget number and appropriate training on the instruments before using them without assistance. Once you have been trained, you may not train co-workers. Everyone must be trained by a Characterization Facility staff member - cross-training of new users by existing users is not allowed. Furthermore, you must notify us of any changes to your account, i.e., new budget number, phone number, departure from the University, etc.
- There is a 48-hour cancellation policy for instrument time.
Sessions cancelled less than 48 hours in advance will be charged in full.
- Instrument time is charged in 30-minute increments. Some instruments have a 1-hour or 2-hour minimum time slot. Billed instrument time begins at the earlier of the reservation start time or log-in time through the later of the reservation end time or log-out time.
- Assistance time is charged in 30-minute increments.
- All users not scheduling and using the instrument within 2 weeks of training must schedule (and pay for) an additional assistance session.
- All users that have a lapse of 3 months or more in their usage MUST FIRST e-mail the specialist for permission to use the instrument and at the specialist's discretion, schedule an initial assisted session of up to 2 hours to reinforce their operation skills.
Although routine wear & tear costs are covered by the CharFac (via normal user fees), all users must assume financial responsibility (parts, labor, shipping) for equipment damaged by overt user error. Clear statements are given during training about the care one must take to avoid damaging equipment during configuration procedures. Additional costs resulting from down time also will be considered. In any case a dialog with the PI(s), to discuss the offense, is presumed; in some cases cost sharing will be considered.
You must adhere to these rules:
- Sign in on the instrument using the Charfac Web sign-in at the beginning of your session and don't forget to sign out after you log off the instrument computer.
- Make note of any problems
- Report all breakages to staff as soon as possible
- Bring SEM samples to be coated at least 24 hours before session time
- Do not leave samples or chemicals on lab benches
- Clearly label all chemicals and hazardous waste with the date, your name, and your code number
- After hours access to Shepherd Labs and the Characterization Facilities requires a U-Card. Access is controlled by UofM Department of Security and we send request to them to activate card for access. For non-UofM users, you can purchase an access card for $50.
These items are not allowed in the facility:
- Food or drink
- Wet shoes or boots
- Chemicals, unless you get specific permission and training from our safety officer.
Using Facility Printers and Computers
Please review the University's policy on Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources.
Please note: We have no permanent data storage facilities. Do not store your data files on the computers of the file servers in the facility. Files more than one month old are subject to erasure without prior notice.
Printers and computers are for facility use and research ONLY.
DO NOT use them for any other personal, professional, or academic affairs.
When using a printer PLEASE use the correct medium for that printer.
- The HP 5000 can print onto transparency material designed for 180C (156° F) temperatures or less - provided that the paper type is set to transparency. If the paper type is set to paper the printer gets much hotter and the transparency melts!
For all of the printers, the loading procedure for paper is printed on the paper/transparency trays. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Most of the problems we have had with the printers jamming arise because someone has just stuffed paper into the trays without making sure it is loaded correctly.
Most printers are currently freely accessible to everyone 24 hours a day. The HP 3500 color laser is in room 12 where the staff can look after it, and is not available in the evenings or on weekends. This is an inconvenience for the staff as well as the users, but it is there due to the abuse of our policy by evening and weekend users.
For your convenience...
We have a limited number of storage drawers and cabinets for use by frequent users. Please see the Front Office staff to request an application. A $25 deposit to cover key loss and cleanup is required. When you no longer require the storage, please empty the drawer/cabinet and return the key to room 12 for your deposit refund slip, that can then be redeemed at the Bursar's Office in Williamson Hall.
Thank you for your cooperation and adherance to these policies.